You are here: Home » Displaying items by tag: libertador
Thursday, 14 Dec 2017

Customs House

Sunday, 23 January 2011 20:45 Published in Santa Marta Historical Downtown

 

History of the Customs House.

 

This building is considered to be the first architectural structure made by the Spanish not only in the city but in South America, located in the historical center (or downtown) of Santa Marta, which was where the city originally was founded and which has survived fires and earthquakes. The Customs House has also gone through many names and functions; at first it was the Government House, then the Customs Consulate, hence its name, which was a sort of Chamber of Commerce of the time. It was the only house in the world that had the privilege of having alive and dead the Liberator Simón Bolívar, since his body lied in burning chamber in the Hall on the second floor.

Customs House Today

 

 

 

Today, Customs House hosts the Museo del Oro (Gold Museum), which is a regional museum of the Banco de la Republica where you can see a collection of jewelry made by indigenous Tayrona and everything related to the culture of that wonderful race, ancient inhabitants of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta.


Cathedral of Santa Marta

Sunday, 23 January 2011 20:45 Published in Santa Marta Historical Downtown

 

History of the Cathedral of Santa Marta

 

 

The Cathedral of Santa Marta was the first basilica built in Latin America and its construction dates back to 1765, when the former Governor Don Andrés Pérez wanted to build a cathedral that would endure and resist the uncertainty giving the task to the Engineer Don Juan Cayetano to start planning this church of the Catholic faith with Renaissance style. At the beginning of its construction the city had a population greatly diminished due to the many attacks of English, French and Dutch pirates which from 1543 until 1712, succeeded in burning and looting the city more than 20 times.

 

This Cathedral is one of the monuments that make us feel proud to Santa Marta, its full of memories and legends, and somewhere in the building is hidden a small urn containing the heart and guts of the Liberator Simon Bolivar, who on December 20, 1930 had a solemn funeral procession from the Casa de la Aduana (Customs House) to this place. There are also the remains of the founder of Santa Marta, Don Rodrigo de Bastidas, which were brought from the Dominican Republic on Friday, September 18, 1953.

Cathedral of Santa Marta Today

 

Also known as Minor Basilica, it has just been restored and it’s a very important monument of Christianity, Santa Marta and Colombia in general, right now under the direction of Father Felix Lopez.

Simon Bolivar Park

Sunday, 23 January 2011 20:44 Published in Santa Marta Historical Downtown

 

Simon Bolivar Park History

 

 

Located in front of the Customs House this park is also called Plaza de Armas (Arm´s Plaza) and Plaza de la Constitution (Constitution´s Plaza), bears this name since 1830 when the Liberator Simon Bolivar was veiled in the Customs House. It was officially opened in 1845 and in 1846 welcomed the marble fountain which was brought from Genoa (Italy).

Simon Bolivar Park Today

 

Today Bolivar Park hosts the gatherings of retirees from the City Hall, Government and teachers among others, who are in charge of spending the day telling old stories and talking about politics.